What is reflexology?
Reflexology is the holistic understanding, study and practice of treating points and areas in the feet and hands that relate to corresponding parts of the body.
There are thousands of nerve endings in the hands and feet and by applying pressure to a specific area, other parts of the body can be affected (for instance, pressure to the fingertips affect the head and sinuses).
A reflexologist applies pressure to the point on the foot or hand which relates to the part of the body that is cause for concern. The organs, which are for instance on the right side of the body, are represented on the right foot or right hand, whereas those that are on the left side of the body are represented on the left foot or left hand.
With the increased pressure, these parts get stimulated and there is increased activity and blood flow to these regions. The natural balance of the body is re-established, thus helping the natural healing process.
Who can benefit from reflexology?
Reflexology is suitable for all ages and may bring relief from a wide range of acute and chronic conditions. After having completed a course of reflexology treatments for a specific condition, many people find it beneficial to continue with regular treatments in order to maintain health and wellbeing.
While many people use reflexology as a way of relaxing the mind and body and counteracting stress, at the same time many doctors, consultants and other health care professionals recognise reflexology as a well-established, respected and effective therapy.
Get the most from your reflexology treatment
- Try to rest and put time aside to relax during the week. This will help to boost the body’s natural healing abilities.
- Increase the amount of water you drink every day to help flush the toxins out of your system and help the detoxifying process of your body.
Reflexology has been shown to be effective for:
- Reducing stress and inducing relaxation
- Improving the circulation of both blood and lymphatic system.
- Helps with the removal of toxins and impurities
- Allowing the body to balance itself
- Revitalising energy
- Strengthening the immune system
- Back pain
- Sleep disorders
- Hormonal imbalances
- Sports injuries
- Digestive disorders
This information has been reproduced with kind permission of Zahra Publishing, publishers of Easy Health.